Friday, November 20, 2009

UNB 2 – UPEI 0

With all the turmoil in Charlottetown this week, there were lots of questions going into Friday's game between UNB and UPEI. Head coach Dylan Taylor and all of his assistant coaches resigned midweek over “philosophical differences” after a UPEI player revolt For new Panthers coach Forbes MacPherson, who as a player played for both  UNB and UPEI back in the early nineties, his team responded with a spirited effort but they were outshot 34-14 as the Varsity Reds blanked them 2-0 in their eleventh win in a row. For UNB netminder Travis Fullerton (Riverview, NB) it was his second shutout of the season, and second against UPEI.

The first period was closely played, as UPEI did a decent job clogging up the middle of the ice, and relying on Wayne Savage (St. Thomas, ON) to make the big saves. Each team had two power plays in the first period, but their penalty kills were better. UNB outshot UPEI 12-4 in the first period.

In the second period UNB continued to press, and scored on an innocent looking play. Hunter Tremblay (Timmins, ON) had just hopped onto the ice into the neutral zone, skated into the high slot with the puck, and then snapped a quick wrister that beat Savage high on the glove save at 3:26 for his eleventh goal of the season.  That was the only goal in the period, that saw UNB come up scoreless on two more power plays while UPEI didn't score on their one opportunity. The V-Reds outshot the Panthers 10-3 in the period.

Early in the second period UPEI's Michael MacIssac (O'Leary, PE) had a golden chance to tie the game when he got in behind the defence and big Aaron Dawson (Peoria, IL) sprung him on a breakaway with a stretch pass.  Fullerton held his ground, and made the save, and worse for MacIssac, he got called for slashing on the play. Midway through the period Daine Todd (Stettler, AB) stickhandled through three Panthers and a linesman, forcing a Panthers penalty. On the resultant power play UNB finally connected as John Scott Dickson (Barrie, ON) fed Tremblay for the one-timer at 12:00. Down by two goals the Panthers finally opened up their game, but they had a hard time fighting through the V-Reds forecheck.  While apparently trying to give his team some energy, at 15:28 MacIssac got tossed for checking from behind on Luke Gallant (Bedford, NS), making the comeback that much harder. Probably Fullerton's best save came with 0.1 seconds left, as he stopped Dylan Quaille's (Toronto, ON) heavy point shot with a quick glove hand.

UNB was 1-for-8 on the power play while UPEI was 0-for-5.  The player of the game was UNB's Hunter Tremblay, with both goals in the game.


Anonymous said...

Hope Kidd will be able to play for next weekend's games.

Eric said...

I talked to Kidd at the Dal game. He says he is hoping to come back for the SMU game.