Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pete Kelly Cup Game 2 - UNB 5 - Toronto 1

In the second game of the 2009 Peterbilt Pete Kelly Cup the host University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds defeated the OAU's University of Toronto Varsity Blues 5-1. It was UofT's first visit to the Aitken University Centre in Fredericton since October 5-6, 1984, when they won both games, but both the Varsity Reds and Blues and changed a lot in the last 25 years.

Almost 2500 fans braved the cold and wind to attend the game, and they all stood silently at the beginning of the game to pay homage to Terry Shannon, a long-time supporter and friend of the V-Reds program who lost his long battle with cancer on Christmas Day. Once the puck dropped, both teams came out flying as they skated off the rust from the long exam break. There was no scoring in the first half of the period, but Luke Lynes (Rochester Hills, MI) did hit the post around 6:30. The V-Reds finally got a puck past UofT's Russ Brownell (Oakville, ON) at 15:41 when Taylor Procyshen (Emerald Park, SK) was in the slot to snap a Daine Todd (Stettler, AB) pass past the goalie. UNB controlled the balance of play in the first period, outshooting the visitors 12-3.

After an uneventful first half of the game, UNB goalie Travis Fullerton (Riverview, NB) switched out with his partner Derek Yeomans (St. Albert, AB). Seconds later at the other end of the ice, at 9:46, Brownell made the first save, but he could not stop Todd burying the rebound to put UNB up 2-0. Less than two minutes later at 11:16, hulking UNB defenceman Josh Kidd (Sundridge, ON) let loose a low point shot through a crowd and past Brownell. With that, Toronto coach Darren Lowe called a timeout to settle down his players. Toronto got on the scoreboard at 16:37 when the puck came to Dean Fontyn (Mississauga, ON) at the far side of the net and he beat Yeomans high on the short side in a bang-bang play. UNB outshot Toronto 16-7 in the middle period.

UNB extended their lead at 3:25 of the third period when Daine Todd made a highlight reel move to dangle past the UofT defence on the rush before using a deke to beat Brownell. The only other goal of the period came at 9:28 on the power play as UNB controlled the puck with ease before feeding John Scott Dickson (Barrie, ON) at the edge of the blue paint for the tap in goal. The V-Reds kept skating all the last period against a Toronto team that looked to run out of gas. Shots in the third period were 17-2 for UNB, and 45-12 in the game.

The Summit Dodge players of the game were Daine Todd for UNB and Russ Brownell for Toronto. UNB will meet UdeM in the tournament final while Toronto will play St. Thomas in the consolation final on Wednesday.

No comments: