Saturday, January 23, 2010

UNB 3 - UdeM 1

Friday, January 22, 2010

MONCTON РThe University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds men's hockey team stretched their winning streak to 20 games, but a desperate Universit̩ de Moncton squad rebounded from a slow start to make it a close 3-1 finish.

There was 1166 fans at the J-Louis Levesque Arena, but they were silenced early, when while on the power play UNB's Hunter Tremblay (Timmins, ON) fired a wrist shot from the slot, UdeM's Pierre-Alexandre Marion (Gatineau, QC) made the pad save, but John Scott Dickson (Barrie, ON) was there to bang in the rebound at 1:59. It was Dickson's 14th goal of the season and ninth on the power play. Worse, near the end of the first Moncton power play, Tremblay toe-dragged the puck past a UdeM defender, and snapped a puck at the net that appeared to fool Marion and made it 2-0 at 8:01. Tremblay moved back into the team lead with that, his 15th goal of the season. UNB's Jordan Clendenning (Fredericton, NB) thought he made 3-0 at 18:00, but the goal was waved off as Jeff Lee (Calgary, AB) had been deemed to interfere with the Moncton goalie when he crashed the net on the play. More controversial was the UNB power play goal called back at 18:55 – Chris Culligan (Howie Center, NS) went top corner to finish a nice tic-tac-toe passing play, but apparently one corner of the net had come dislodged (and reseated itself) during play but that was enough for referee Tim Skinner to nullify the goal. UNB edged Moncton 11-9 in shots in the period.

It was a pretty even second period until 8:59 when UNB's Lee did some great work behind the Moncton net and got the puck out to Clendenning in the slot who fired a bullet wrist shot under the crossbar that Marion had no chance at. It was a beautiful goal and there was not chance it could be called back. The Aigles Bleus had been picking up their physical play all period, and events peaked at 18:00 when UdeM's Alexandre Soucy (Moncton, NB) got tangled up with UNB defenceman Josh Kidd (Sundridge, ON) at the blue line along the boards. Pushing and shoving led to the gloves dropping and the 6'2” Soucy and 6'5” Kidd had a pretty good tilt. Both picked up fighting majors and will be suspended for their next game. Later, as time expired in the period, UNB's Culligan finished his play and fired the puck into the net just after the horn sounded. The non-goal didn't go over well with the Aigles Bleus on the ice. UdeM edged UNB 12-11 in shots in the period.

The third period saw Moncton up their play as the attemped to get back in the game. They were rewarded when Francis Rochon managed to get the puck from UNB's Tremblay on the backcheck, started a rush the other way, and when the puck came back to him he beat Derek Yeomans (St. Albert, AB) at 11:34. With 3:04 to go Moncton was on the power play and then they went all in when they pulled Marion with 2:03 to go, but the Varsity Reds calmly held off the push and captured the 3-1 win.

The shots in the final period were 9-4 for UdeM, who outshot UNB 30-26 in the game. UNB was 1-for-6 on the power play while UdeM went 0-for-6. Next up for the Varsity Reds is a visit to the Lady Beaverbrook Rink to play the St. Thomas Tommies on Saturday night in the 16th annual Lou Chabot memorial game.


Anonymous said...

Yeoman's played stellar last night... big time mental win for him.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree it was the best game I seen Yeomans play in a long time. It was great to see...

Anonymous said...

How did the fight go?