Sunday, February 14, 2010

UNB wins record 27th win 5-2 over Dalhousie

FREDERICTON -- While they didn't complete a perfect regular season, the University of New Brunswick men's hockey team did win an AUS record 27 games when they cruised to a 5-2 win over the Dalhousie Tigers on Saturday night in front of 3033 fans at the Aitken University Centre. The Dal loss combined with a Moncton overtime shootout win over Acadia means the Tigers were eliminated from the AUS playoffs on the last day of the season.

The Varsity Reds got off a flying start, and only 22 seconds into the game Hunter Tremblay (Timmins, ON) spun and backhanded the puck for what he and fans thought was a goal, but not according to the goal judge and referee. Three minutes later Tremblay put the puck off Dal goalie Bobby Nadeau's (Lac-Etchemin, QC) shoulder and apparently into the goal and through the mesh at the rear of the net, but neither the goal judge or referee saw it that way, and there is no video review in the AUS. UNB finally got a goal that counted on a five-on-three power play at 15:12 when Daine Todd (Stettler, AB) came in off the left point for the back door play goal from a Tremblay pass. Three minutes later UNB captain Kyle Bailey (Ponoka, AB) made an unselfish play in the slot when he faked the shot and slid a soft pass over to Tremblay for a relatively easy goal. Shots in the first period favoured UNB 18-7.

The second period was a bit more even, but UNB extended their lead at 8:47 when off the cycle Ryan Seymour (Fredericton, NB) came out from behind the Dal net with the puck, and forced Nadeau to make a big save. Unfortunately for him the rebound went right to Nick Layton (Salisbury, NB) who banged in the puck. Tremblay got his second goal at 15:49 on the power play when his heavy shot from the top of the circle may have deflected slightly off a Dal skate before it went by Nadeau and into the net. With 43 seconds to go in the period Nadeau appeared to tweak something, and he left the game and Josh Disher (Burlington, ON) took over in the Dal net. Shots in the second period favoured UNB 11-8.

UNB was cruising along with their 4-0 lead when there was an incident at 4:36 when Lachlan MacIntosh (Perth-Andover, NB) collided with Dal's Kenzie Sheppard (Howie Center, NS) along the UNB bench, and Sheppard went into the bench with his stick high. Sheppard was assessed a five-minute major penalty and game misconduct for making contact with UNB players on the bench. UNB's resultant power play was not very effective, and worse, gave up two shorthanded goals. First at 7:37 Dal rookie Ben Breault (St. Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC) intercepted the puck at the blue line, and had a breakaway as he scored on Derek Yeomans (St. Albert, AB). Then at 8:13 fellow rookie Daniel Bartek (Olomouc, CZ) stripped the puck from a UNB player and had a step on the UNB defence as he beat Yeomans with a shot into the top corner of the net. The two goals appeared to finally wake up the Tigers, who hadn't shown much desperation in the game up until that point. However, UNB held the fort, and Luke Gallant (Bedford, NS) added an empty net goal at 19:41 to salt away the 5-2 win. Final shots in the game were 42-23 for UNB.

The player of the game was Hunter Tremblay, who finishes the regular season atop the AUS leader board with 57 points , and as the top sniper in the conference with 25 goals. He finished with 32 assists, just one assist back of the co-leaders Mark Rancourt and Andrew Hotham from Saint Mary's. Tremblay had the most game winning goals (8) in the AUS and most shorthanded goals (5). He also led the AUS in shots on goal (126) and finished with the second best plus/minus (+25).

For his part goaltender Derek Yeomans finished the season with nine wins and no losses, a goals against average of 1.79 and a save percentage of .914.

UNB will now have the first round bye in the playoffs, and will wait to meet the lowest ranked survivor of the Saint Mary's – Moncton and UPEI – StFX first round best-of-three series.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's go V-Reds!