The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds suffered a 2nd consecutive loss on their weekend trip to the United States as they dropped an 8-3 decision to the University of Maine Black Bears this afternoon at Alfond Arena in Orono.
It was a story of three drastically different periods for the V-Reds. Maine jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead early in the 1st period before UNB dominated the 2nd period, climbing back to within one thanks to goals from Philippe Maillet (Halley) and Cameron Brace (Maillet). However, the 3rd period was all Maine as they scored three goals in about two minutes early in the frame to essentially put the game away. Brace, from Petgrave and Braes, made the score 6-3, but Maine got two more within one minute of one another late in the game to round out the scoring.
- Like last night the V-Reds out-shot their opponent (25-23 today), but the speed and skill, especially around the net, from the NCAA teams was too much to overcome.
- Chris Carozzi played the majority of the game, giving up all 8 goals. David Shantz came into the game very briefly in the 3rd period.
- Cameron Critchlow (suspension due to game misconduct against BC) and Tyler Carroll (injury) did not play today.
- This is the first time since the 2006/2007 season UNB failed to gain at least a point against NCAA competition.
- The 8 goals allowed are the most since an 8-7 loss against UPEI on January 21st, 2012.
- The V-Reds are back in action next Saturday night when they open the AUS regular season with a game in Charlottetown against the UPEI Panthers. Game time is scheduled for 7PM.