Adrian Robertson's power play goal early in overtime helped lead a depleted University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds squad to a gutsy 3-2 victory over the St. FX X-Men tonight in Antigonish. The V-Reds are now 10-2-2 on the season and remain tied with the Acadia Axemen, one point behind the conference leading Saint Mary's Huskies. The X-Men, on the other hand, see their 6 game winning streak snapped and fall to 8-6-0.
- The Varsity Reds received a first period power play goal from Philippe Maillet (Brace, Robertson) at 13:13 only to have Eric Locke reply on an X-Men man advantage just under 5 minutes later to tie the game at 1. That would be the only scoring in a period that seen UNB out-shoot St. FX 7-5.
- Much like the 1st period, the teams traded goals in the 2nd as well. First, it was Rob Mignardi (Gazzola, Petgrave) getting the credit for a deflected power play goal at 9:51, and then it was the X-Men's Blake Gal tying the game once again with just 30 seconds remaining in the period. Shots were 7 apiece in the frame.
- There was no scoring in the 3rd period as UNB held a 9-3 advantage in shots, however for the 2nd straight Saturday night they were forced to kill off a late Tyler Carroll penalty to force overtime.
- After Carroll's penalty expired 27 seconds into the extra frame he came out of the box only to hooked seconds later, sending the V-Reds to the power play. UNB generated a number of chances and were finally rewarded when Adrian Robertson's blast from the point beat X-Men goalie Drew Owsley at 1:46 for the game winner. Cam Braes picked up the assist on the goal. Shots in the overtime were 5-0 for UNB, who also held a 28-15 advantage in the game.
- The V-Reds continue to play with a short bench as defencemen Alex Wall, R.D. Chisholm, and Jordan Murray, and forwards Chris Caissy and Francis Beauvillier all missed the game due to injury. This meant they were playing with only 11 forwards and 4 defencemen - 3 players short of a full line-up.
- David Shantz picked up his 9th win of the year in net as he continues to get the over-whelming majority of action.
- Robertson, Matt Petgrave, and X-Man Ted Stephens were the game's three stars.
- UNB was 3 for 9 on the power play while St. FX was 1 for 6.
- UNB won 34 out of 61 face-offs with Maillet (13 for 19) and Willick (12 for 19) leading the way.
- Attendance was 793.
- The Papa Johns 'Shots and Saves' online discount for Tuesday morning will be 28% thanks to a weekend-high of 28 shots in last night's game against Saint Mary's.
- It was a high scoring night in the AUS as Saint Mary's rebounded from their loss to UNB with a big
9-2 home win over Moncton, Acadia defeated St. Thomas 9-5 in Fredericton, and UPEI prevailed 3-2 in overtime over Dalhousie in a game that was held in Montague, PEI.
- UNB wraps up the 1st half of the season this upcoming week with a pair of games. On Wednesday night they visit the Grant*Harvey Centre for another Battle of the Hill against St. Thomas. On Friday they host the Moncton Aigles Bleus at the AUC. Both games are scheduled for a 7PM start.