The #5 seeded and AUS runner-up Acadia Axemen looked well on their way to a quarter-final victory over the #4 seeded and OUA runner-up UQTR Patriotes this afternoon at the University Cup, but the Patriotes rallied from a 5-2 3rd period to shock the Axemen 6-5 in overtime. The Patriotes will now face the winner of tonight's Alberta/ST. FX game in tomorrow's 2nd semi-final while the Axemen's season comes to a disappointing end.
Through the first two periods it was all Acadia as they jumped out to a 4-1 lead on goals by Chris Owens (10:00 of the 1st), Remy Giftopoulos (1:22 of the 2nd), Boston Leier (2:05 of the 2nd), and Taylor Makin (16:27 of the 2nd). They also held a 26-16 advantage in shots through the first 40 minutes. Martin Lefebrve (12:17) had the lone marker for UQTR, which briefly cut the lead to 3-1.
The 3rd period was a completely different story. Guillaume Asselin made it a 4-2 game just 58 seconds in, but when Mike Cazzola pushed the lead back to 3 at 6:41 it appeared the Axemen were once again back in control. However, the Patriotes have long been known as an offensively gifted team and they showed it today by scoring 3 goals in a span of 2:39 around the mid-point of the period to tie the game at 5. Felix Plouffe (9:44), Billy Lacasse (12:04), and Asselin (12:23) all found the net behind Axemen goalie Brandon Glover. The game would remain tied until the end of regulation with both teams firing 12 shots on goal in the frame.
The Axemen received a golden opportunity to end the game in OT when they received an early power play. They couldn't do anything with it and the Patriotes made them pay when Vincent Marcoux kept the puck on a 2-on-1 rush and teed up a slap shot that beat Glover for the game winner at 8:40. Shots in the overtime were 4-3 for UQTR.
- Shots in the game were 41-32 for Acadia.
- Acadia was 2 for 5 with the man advantage. UQTR was 0 for 2.
- Owens and Marcoux were named the player of the game for their respective teams.
- Attendance was 4731.
- The quarter-finals conclude this evening when the #1 seeded Alberta Golden Bears take on the #8 seeded and host St. FX X-Men. Game time is 7PM and can be viewed online at www.CIS-SIC.tv.
- The Guelph Gryphons and UNB Varsity Reds will play in the first semi-final tomorrow at 12PM while the Patriotes and X-Men/Golden Bears winner will play in the other semi-final at 4PM. Both games will be broadcast on Sportsnet 360.