UPDATE: UMass has posted a game recap (with video hightlights) while the blog BC Interruption has more on the Eagles/UNB game from Saturday night.
The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds wrapped up their pre-season schedule this afternoon with a 3-2 loss at the hands of the UMass-Lowell River Hawks. UNB finishes the pre-season with an impressive 5-1-0 record.
- Scoring for UNB, who never led in the game, were Peter Trainor (Halley, Maillet) with 18 minutes remaining in the 2nd period to make it 2-1 and then Matt Petgrave with a power play marker 9 minutes into the 3rd to make it 3-2. However, the Varsity Reds were unable to complete the comeback bid.
- UNB outshot the River Hawks 28-25.
- Face-offs were 35-23 in favour of the V-Reds.
- Alex Dubeau went the distance in goal, making 22 stops.
- The V-Reds will now return home from a successful road trip and prepare for the UPEI Panthers in their home, and season, opener on Saturday night at the AUC. Game time is 7PM.
- In other AUS action today the Acadia Axemen beat Vermont 2-1, Dalhousie got by Sacred Heart 5-3, the University of New Hampshire rallied from a 4-1 deficit late in the 2nd period to defeat St. FX 6-4, and Quinnipiac topped St. Thomas 3-1. Overall, it was a very good weekend for AUS teams against their counterparts south of the border.