Three players had multi-point games and Alex Dubeau stopped all 26 shots he faced to pick-up his 3rd shut-out of the season as the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds defeated the St. Thomas Tommies 4-0 in the final installment of the Battle of the Hill tonight at the Grant Harvey*Centre. UNB, who were without five regulars in the line-up, improves to 22-3-2 on the season.
The V-Reds received a 1st period goal from Philippe Halley (Beauvillier) at 6:55, 2nd period goals by Stephen Anderson (MacDougall) at 5:09 and Tyler Carroll (MacDougall, Anderson), and a 3rd period marker from Francis Beauvillier (Murray, Brace) at 8:08.
- Randy Gazzola, Chris Caissy, Dylan Willick, Rob Mignardi, and Cameron Critchlow were all out of the line-up for UNB. It was the first game Gazzola, Willick, and Mignardi have missed this season.
- Defenceman Marcus McIvor, who has been injured for the better part of the last four months, made his return to the line-up.
- The Tommies had 7 of the game's first 9 shots, but UNB ended up with a 34-26 advantage in the game with period totals of 8-8, 16-11, and 10-7.
- UNB was 0 for 6 on the power play while St. Thomas was scoreless on 9 attempts.
- The V-Reds won 33 out of 59 face-offs.
- Attendance was 807.
- Philippe Maillet had a game-high 6 shots on goal.
- Anderson, Colin Suellentrop, and Matt Boudens were all +3 in the game.
- Anderson, Dubeau, and Tommie Brendan Childerly were the game's three stars.
- UNB has now won 22 straight road games against the Tommies, and 13 straight overall.
- In other AUS action tonight Saint Mary's hammered Dalhousie 9-3, Moncton beat UPEI 3-1 at home, and St. FX defeated Acadia 4-1 in Antigonish to take over 2nd place in the conference.
- With only one game remaining in the regular season there is still lots to be decided. The current standings look like this: UNB (46 points), St. FX (39), Acadia (38), Saint Mary's (36), Moncton (26), UPEI (25), Dalhousie (20), St. Thomas (5). The only teams locked into their position are UNB, Dalhousie, and St. Thomas.
- The Varsity Reds wrap up the regular season on Friday night when they travel to Charlottetown for a date with the UPEI Panthers. The marquee match-up of the night goes in Wolfville where Acadia hosts Saint Mary's. The other games are Moncton at St. Thomas and Dalhousie at St. FX. Puck drop for all games is scheduled for 7PM.