1996-1997: 1-1 (Defeated Alberta in semi-finals, Lost to Guelph in finals)
1997-1998: 3-0 (Defeated Windsor and Alberta in round robin, Defeated Acadia in finals)
1999-2000: 2-1 (Defeated Western and Saskatchewan in round robin, Lost to Alberta in finals)
2002-2003: 1-2 (Defeated Lakehead and Lost to UQTR in round robin, Lost to Alberta in bronze medal game)
2003-2004: 2-1 (Defeated Ottawa and Alberta in round robin, Lost to St. FX in finals)
2006-2007: 3-0 (Defeated Saskatchewan and UQTR in round robin, Defeated Moncton in finals)
2007-2008: 2-1 (Defeated Brock and Saskatchewan in round robin, Lost to Alberta in finals)
2008-2009: 3-0 (Defeated Alberta and Lakehead in round robin, Defeated Western in finals)
2010-2011: 3-0 (Defeated Calgary and Western in round robin, Defeated McGill in finals)
2011-2012: 1-1 (Defeated UQTR and Lost to Western in round robin)
2012-2013: 3-0 (Defeated Saskatchewan and UQTR in round robin, Defeated Saint Mary's in finals)
2014-2015: 2-1 (Defeated Windsor in 1st round, Defeated Guelph in semi-finals, Lost to Alberta in finals)
Overall: 26-8, 20-6 under MacDougall
A few interesting notes:
- UNB has won their opening game at all 12 of their previous appearances.
- They have made it to the National Championship game in 7 out of their last 8 appearances.
- UNB's 5 University Cups rank only behind Alberta (15) and Toronto (10) all-time.
- The V-Reds will be playing in the afternoon pool this year. They won their first two Championships (1998, 2007) after playing in the afternoon pool while they were placed in the evening pool for their last three (2009, 2011, 2013).
- If UNB wants to capture their 6th University Cup they will have to win 3 games in 3 days, something they have never done. In fact, they have played on Thursday in each of their last 7 appearances. The last time they played on a Friday at the University Cup was when they hosted in 2004.
- MacDougall is 12-2 against OUA teams all-time at the University Cup (4-3 loss to UQTR in 2003 round robin, 3-2 loss to Western in 2012 round robin).
-UNB is on a 42-1-0 (and 46-1-1) run against OUA teams since an exhibition loss to Lakehead over the 2004-2005 Christmas break. Their one loss during that stretch - the 3-2 setback to the Mustangs in the 2012 University Cup at the AUC.
- This will be the 5th all-time meeting between the V-Reds and Mustangs, with all of the previous encounters taking place at Nationals. It will be their 4th meeting since UNB defeated Western 4-2 in the 2009 National Championship game.
- According to the indispensable @VRedsHckyStats, 8 out of the last 10 University Cup winners were also conference champions. The only two times this wasn't the case was in 2007 when the V-Reds defeated Moncton after losing to them in the conference finals and in 2009 when UNB lost in the conference finals to Saint Mary's but defeated Western in the CIS Final.
- Also, the V-Reds will enter the tournament as the 5th seed. The only other team ranked that low to win the University Cup? UNB in 2007, when they were also ranked 5th.
With information from the RedSea Database