A couple noteworthy items as we await the beginning of another season of V-Reds hockey:
- The Varsity Reds announced today that former St. FX X-Men defenseman - and New Brunswick native - Trey Lewis will transfer to UNB. He will need to sit out the upcoming season before suiting up for the 2017-2018 campaign. Lewis has played the last two seasons in Antigonish, putting up 5 goals and 8 assists in 55 games. Prior to joining the X-Men he played parts of five seasons with the Halifax Moosehead. He was the team captain of the Mooseheads dominant 2012-2013 Memorial Cup-winning squad that featured NHL stars Nathan MacKinnon and Joanathan Drouin.
- Defenseman Jordan Murray is one of 24 players to be invited to the Tampa Bay Lightning's prospect tournament. The tournament will be held in Coral Springs, Florida and will run from September 17th-20th. Francis Beauvillier (Columbus) and Matt Murphy (Winnipeg) will also be attending NHL camps this week. It is unknown how this will affect their availability during the first part of UNB's pre-season schedule.
- Former V-Red Tyler Carroll has reportedly signed with the Gander Flyers of the CWSHL for the upcoming season.
- Just a reminder that Varsity Reds season passes and University Cup tournament passes are now on sale to the general public. It is advised that you purchase University Cup passes well in advance as it is expected to once again sell out beforehand.
- Fans will get their first chance to look at the 2016-2017 edition of the Varsity Reds one week from today when they host the UPEI Panthers in pre-season action. Game time is 7PM at the AUC.