Some mid-week V-Reds related news:
- For the 3rd consecutive week, UNB is ranked at the top of the USports men's hockey rankings. The Varsity Reds received 14 out of the 15 first place votes and 149 points overall. There was considerable shake-up amongst the rest of the top ten as no other team maintained their previous ranking. Saskatchewan, St FX, UOIT, and Alberta made up the rest of the top five while Concordia, Mount Royal, Ryerson, UPEI, and Acadia were ranked 6th to 10th.
Perhaps the biggest surprise is the absence of the UQTR Patriotes, who are unranked for the first time since the end of the 2013/14 season. This breaks a streak of 42 straight weeks being ranked.
- Philippe Maillet, not surprisingly, has been named the UNB Varsity Reds/Papa John's Pizza male Athlete of the Week after his heroics last weekend. On Friday night Maillet scored 4 points - including a natural hat-trick in the 3rd period to erase a 4-1 deficit - before adding the clinching goal in a shootout to lead UNB to a 5-4 win over Dalhousie. He then had two assists in a big 6-0 victory over 2nd place St. FX the next night.
- Defenceman Jordan Murray's spectacular start to the season has earned him the UNB Varsity Reds/Valley Graphics male Athlete of the Month for October. Murray, the reigning CIS Defenceman of the Year, is currently 2nd in the conference in scoring with 6 goals and 9 assists in 8 games.
- In his latest installment of Tuesday Morning Skate Victor Findlay gives his thoughts about the week that was in men's hockey, including naming Philippe Maillet his AUS first star of the week.
- A reminder that UNB is back on home ice for a pair of important games this weekend as they get their first look at the Acadia Axemen and Saint Mary's Huskies on Friday and Saturday night, respectively. Both games are set for a 7PM start.