Some news as the V-Reds prepare for a rough road test against St. FX tonight:
- UNB is once again #1 in the latest USports men's hockey rankings. The Varsity Reds received all but one first place vote to take the top spot for the fourth straight week. Following them are the St. FX X-Men, up one spot, and Alberta Golden Bears, who had the other first place nod and moved up two spots to 3rd. The Saskatchewan Huskies and UOIT Ridgebacks make up the rest of the top five. Concordia, Mount Royal, McGill - ranked for the first time all season, UPEI, and Ryerson round out the top ten. Acadia, who fell out of the rankings, and Dalhousie are the only other AUS teams to receive votes.
- Last Saturday night's victory marked head coach Gardiner MacDougall's 500th career win at UNB. This includes 323 regular season wins, 56 playoff wins, 23 University Cup wins, and 98 exhibition wins. He accomplished the feat in only 719 games.
- In this week's Tuesday Morning Skate, Victor Findlay discusses Philippe Maillet and Cam Braes along with a host of other men's hockey topics from around the country.
- Earlier this week former Varsity Reds defenceman Alex Wall was called up to the AHL's Albany Devils after posting a goal and five assists in his first six games with the ECHL's Adirondack Thunder. However, it appears that he did not see any action with the Devils and has since been returned to Adirondack.
The smooth-skating Wall played three seasons with UPEI before joining UNB prior to the 2014-2015 season. In two years as a V-Red Wall had 25 points in 38 games, helping the team win a national championship last season.
- A reminder that UNB is on the road for a pair of crucial games this weekend. They face St. FX tonight before moving on to Halifax for a date against the Dalhousie Tigers tomorrow evening. Both games are scheduled for a 7PM puck drop and can be viewed live at www.AUStv.ca.