Some items of note as the Varsity Reds prepare to face the Aigles Bleus tonight in Moncton:
- UNB was once again the unanimous number one ranked team in the country in the latest top 10 rankings. The Varsity Reds claimed all 15 first place votes and 150 points to earn top billing for the 13th consecutive week. The Saskatchewan Huskies remained at #2 while McGill and Ryerson flipped positions with the Redmen now 3rd and the Rams 4th. Making up the rest of the top ten are the Acadia Axemen, Alberta Golden Bears, Concordia Stingers, Calgary Dinos, Queen's Golden Gaels, and York Lions. St. FX was the only other AUS team to receive votes.
- Cameron Cricthlow has been named the latest recipient of the UNB Varsity Reds/Papa John's Pizza male Athlete of the Week after arguably his best weekend of the season. On Friday night the V-Reds captain had two assists, including helping set up the eventual game winning goal, in a 5-3 win over St. FX and then he netted his 3rd goal of the season in Saturday's 6-4 victory against Dalhousie.
- Philippe Maillet was announced as the UNB Varsity Reds/Valley Graphics male Athlete of the Month for January. The V-Reds went 7-0-1 in the month thanks in large part to Maillet's 4 goals and 11 assists. The 4th year native of Terrebonne, Quebec continues to lead the country in scoring by a considerable margin as his 53 points are 12 more than Hunter Garlent (Saint Mary's) and Anthony De Luca (Concordia).
- It has been announced that the 2006-2007 CIS championship team will be honoured during this year's University Cup. Several members of that team - who helped bring home UNB's second national title with a thrilling 3-2 overtime win over Moncton - will return to Fredericton and be on hand for an on-ice ceremony in between periods of the evening game on Thursday, March 16th.
- Victor Findlay talks U Sports playoffs in his latest edition of Tuesday Morning Skate.
- After dropping a 4-1 decision to eventual gold medalists Russia in the semi-finals, Team Canada claimed a bronze medal at the Winter Universiade in Almaty, Kazakhstan with a 4-3 victory over the Czech Republic this morning.
- The Varsity Reds play their final regular season game this Saturday night against UPEI at the AUC and it is also 'Think Pink' weekend, which helps raise awareness and money for breast cancer. Click here for more information about the events taking place around campus all weekend long.