Forward Levi Cable scored the only goal of the game 1:01 into overtime to lift the #6 seeded and Canada West runner-up Saskatchewan Huskies over the #3 seeded and OUA Champion York Lions 1-0 in the third quarter-final match-up of the 2017 University Cup.
- Cable broke down the right side and put what appeared to be an innocent looking shot towards the net, but it somehow snuck past goaltender Mack Shields and trickled over the goal line to send the Huskies on to tomorrow's semi-final.
- The anticipated goaltending duel between first-team All-Canadian and Goaltender of the Year Jordon Cooke from Saskatchewan and second-team All-Canadian Shields certainly lived up to the hype as both were stellar throughout.
- Although Shields was the busier of the two - shots favoured Saskatchewan 32-24 - it was Cooke who made the save of the tournament thus far. With less than a second remaining in the opening period Cooke dove back across his crease to snag the puck out of the air, denying the Lions a sure goal into a wide open net.
- Saskatchewan was 0 for 6 with the power play while York was 0 for 4.
- The Huskies went 40-23 in the face-off dot.
- Attendance was 3027.
- This is the 3rd overtime game the Huskies have played at the University Cup over the last two years, although this one took a little less time to settle. You may recall they played two of the longest games in University Cup history at last year's event - defeating Carleton 3-2 in quadruple overtime in the quarter-finals before finally succumbing to St. FX 2-1 in triple overtime in the semi-finals.
- The Huskies will now face the winner of tonight's St. FX/McGill game in tomorrow's 4PM semi-final. The Acadia Axemen and UNB Varsity Reds will play in the 12PM semi.