When the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds hit the AUC ice on Thursday night for their first game of the 2017 University Cup they will be making their 16th appearance all-time at the tournament, including their 14th since 1997 and 11th under head coach Gardiner MacDougall.
Here is how they have fared at the previous 15 tournaments:
1964: 1-1 (Lost in semi-final)
1984: 0-2 (Lost in Atlantic regional)
1997: 1-1 (Lost in final)
1998: 3-0 (Won championship)
2000: 2-1 (Lost in final)
2003: 1-2 (Lost in semi-final + bronze medal game)
2004: 2-1 (Lost in final)
2007: 3-0 (Won championship)
2008: 2-1 (Lost in final)
2009: 3-0 (Won championship)
2011: 3-0 (Won championship)
2012: 1-1 (Lost in semi-final)
2013: 3-0 (Won championship)
2015: 2-1 (Lost in final)
2016: 3-0 (Won championship)
Some notes of interest:
- UNB's 6 championships and 11 championship games rank 3rd to Alberta (15 and 20) and Toronto (13 and 10).
- Their 5 championship game losses are tied with Alberta, Saint Mary's, and Saskatchewan for the most all-time.
- The V-Reds have won 5 titles and appeared in 7 title games in the last 10 years.
- UNB has a 0.732 winning percentage all-time at the University Cup. They are 30-11 in 41 career games, including 23-6 under Gardiner MacDougall.
- This includes 15 wins in their last 17 games and 20 wins in their last 23 games.
- They have out-scored the opposition 163-103 in those games.
- UNB has recorded 6 shut-outs at the University Cup. They have never been shut-out.
- UNB has never played Queen's or York at the University Cup. Their all-time University Cup record against the other participants is 1-0 against Acadia, 4-5 against Alberta, 4-0 against Saskatchewan, and 1-1 against St. FX.