Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Aigles Bleus End Lengthy Streak

The Universite de Moncton Aigles Bleus entered tonight's game against the #1 ranked University of New Brunswick Reds having lost their previous 14 meetings between the two teams - and 26 out of 27 - but they were able to exercise some demons in a back and forth 4-3 shootout victory this evening in Moncton.

- Cameron Brace (Boucher, Gatenby) had the lone goal of the opening period when he pounced on a rebound at the lip of the crease and slid it in for a power play goal at 9:53.

- Moncton knotted the game at 2:42 of the 2nd period on a Robbie Graham marker that UNB unsuccessfully argued should have been goaltender interference as Alex Dubeau was bumped and lost his helmet on the play. They took the lead at 9:16 with Marc-Anthony Therrien finishing off an odd-man rush.

- Shortly after the Therrien goal UNB went back to the power play and appeared to tie the game when Tyler Boland's slap shot cleanly beat Aigles Bleus goaltender Etienne Montpetit, but Kris Bennett was called for interference in front of the net mere moments before the puck went it, negating the goal. At 18:34 they got a power play goal that counted though, with Mark Rassell (Boucher, Brace) re-directing a hard pass at the side of the net into the top corner to tie the game at 2 after two periods of play.

- Moncton gained the lead back 4:33 into the 3rd period after Edouard Michaud undressed a defender on a one-on-one play before finding sniper Maxime St. Cyr in the slot for the go-ahead tally. The lead was short-lived however, as Matt Murphy (Boucher, McIvor) found the top right corner off of a rush 30 seconds later to quiet the home crowd.

- After a scoreless final 15 minutes of regulation and 5 minute 3-on-3 overtime session - in which UNB held a slight edge in play - the game headed to a shootout where the first 9 shooters failed to convert before Carl Marois finally netted the game winning goal. 

- Shots in the game favoured UNB 47-27 with period totals of 20-4, 17-14, 7-7, and 3-2.

- Marcus McIvor was back in the line-up after serving a two game suspension for a hit on Saint Mary's forward Anthony Repaci two weekends ago. He replaced Noah Carroll on the blue line. Forwards Patrick Watling and James McEwan remained out.

- UNB went 2 for 5 on the power play. Moncton was 0 for 8, which included a four minute advantage late in the game.

- The Reds won 47 out of 76 face-offs.

- This was UNB's first look at Aigles Bleus standout rookie netminder Etienne Monpetit and he did not disappoint. After missing the first two meetings of the season due to injury Montpetit certainly lived up to the billing as a potential game changer by stopping 44 out of 47 shots plus all five shoot-out attempts. 

- At the other end of the rink Alex Dubeau had a solid night in his own right, turning aside 24 out of 27 shots directed his way.

- Attendance was 484.

- While UNB drops to 7-0-2 on the season the Aigles Bleus improve to 5-3-2, giving them more wins and points than they had all of last season.

- It was another night of closely contested games around the AUS tonight. St. FX won their 5th in a row with a 2-1 home victory over Saint Mary's and Acadis snapped their recent slide with a 2-1 win in Wolfville against Dalhousie. 

- UNB will look to break a very rare two game losing streak on Saturday night when they host the visiting UPEI Panthers to the AUC. Game time is scheduled for 7PM.