Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Reds Clip Aigles Bleus

The University of New Brunswick Reds never trailed as they played a solid puck possession and puck pressure game in a 4-2 victory tonight in Moncton against the Aigles Bleus. UNB moves to 7-2-0 on the season.

The two teams traded goals in a 1st period that was dominated by the Reds. UNB had the first eight shots of the game and opened the scoring on the power play when Stephen Anderson (Watling, Boland) banged the puck in during a scramble in front of goaltender Etienne Montpetit at 6:13. The Aigles Bleus quickly struck back with Joey Richard depositing a rebound past Samuel Harvey on Moncton's first chance of the game 83 seconds later. However, the UNB power play once again came through to restore the lead. At 17:32 Patrick Watling (Bennett, Anderson) stepped into a loose puck in the slot and wired a shot into the top corner. Penalties were the story of the period as UNB was given four power play opportunities to Moncton's one chance. Shots were 17-4 for the Reds.

UNB extended their lead at 9:45 of the 2nd period with Oliver Cooper and Mark Rassell executing a flawless two-on-one. Cooper carried the puck down the right side and the veteran fed the sophomore with a nice pass that was promptly one-timed past a helpless Montpetit. With the game seemingly under control a late Marcus McIvor penalty would prove costly. Maxime St-Cyr. - arguably the league's most dangerous sniper - took a pass from behind the net and found himself all alone in front. He made no mistake, beating Harvey glove side to make it 3-2 with 42 seconds left in the period. UNB out-shot Moncton 13-6 in the frame.

The final twenty minutes may have been the least exciting of the night with only 11 shots combined - six for Moncton and five for UNB - and the Reds easing some of the tension with an insurance goal 37 seconds into the period. It was a bit of a strange goal. The play was around the Moncton net when, all of a sudden, the Reds players on the ice put their hands in the air and started celebrating. Confusion ensued as it didn't appear anyone else knew where the puck was, but after some investigating it was found lodged inside the net. A quick conference amongst the four officials determined it was indeed a good goal with Rassell (Cooper, Dove-McFalls) getting credit for his second of the game. Trailing by two Moncton pulled their goalie with three minutes remaining, but neither team was able to generate much, making the final 4-2.

- UNB went with their usual line-up, meaning Benjamin Gagne was the lone scratch.

- Shots were 35-16 for the Reds.

- UNB went 2 for 5 with the man advantage. All of their chance came within the first 22 minutes of the game.

- Moncton was 1 for 4 on the power play as they had the last three opportunities in the game, including both chances in the 3rd period.

- Samual Harvey out-dueled Etienne Montpetit in a battle of the two best goaltenders to come out of the QMJHL in recent years.

- It was a rough night in the face-off circle for the Reds, losing 34 out of 66 draws.

- Rassell was named the player of the game.

- Attendance was 523.

- With the win UNB (7-2-0) moves to within two points of the 1st place Acadia Axemen (8-1-0).

- Saint Mary's and St. FX also played tonight, making up a game that was canceled earlier this month. Stephen Johnson netted a hat-trick as the Huskies blanked the X-Men 4-0 in Antigonish.

- UNB is now off until Saturday night when they welcome the UPEI Panthers to the AUC for a 7PM start.